Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Event 1:

Getty Center: Architecture Tour


For my first event, I had attended the Getty Center's architecture tour that contained a 45-minute tour of the Getty Center site and architecture. Through this tour, I learned the significance of the architectures at the Getty Center.

The Getty Center incorporates the modern design of architect Richard Meier. Richard Meier helped us portray the beautiful garden, open spaces, and the breath-taking view of the city of Los Angeles. He is an American abstract artist and architect, whose geometric designs make prominent use of the color white.


Through this visit, It helped open my eyes about the topics we had learned during week 1. I had a better understanding of Two Cultures. For instance, Richard was both an artist and an architect. His main goal was to bring the beauty of nature and art together.  This proves the theory of how opposites can collide within one another. Not only did the tour helped me obtain a better insight about the correlation between art and technology, it also helped me obtain more knowledge about the correlation between math and art. The buildings are also a perfect example of what we had learned during week 2; math and art. The golden ratio is clearly seen in most buildings.


Through this tour, I had learned that the stones in the architect (shown left) was found in Italy. It was found over 2,000 years ago. The stone was cut off of a log. The stones in the architect and also the panels in the buildings are sedimentary rocks that are 80,000 years old.  The stones they used to build the buildings was Travertine stone. Approximately 1.2 million square feet of Travertine stone is seen at the Getty Center.


Fun fact: 
The tour guide informed us that if we look closely into the stone, we could possibly see fossils of leaves!


After attending this tour, I had a better understanding of architecture and I truly recommend people to come visit the Getty Center. (free admission!) Through this experience, I wish to apply some of the methods Robert used to build the buildings. I wish to go above and beyond to try creating unique ideas. I had obtained a better insight of what topic I want to focus on for my final project.


I was very hesitant to ask the workers for a picture because I didn't want to be a bothersome, but this lady who worked at the front desk was nice enough to take a selfie with me! She was the one who suggested that we take a picture with Mr. Getty. (in the back)  


I know this isn't going to be my last visit! Next stop: Garden Tour?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment