Sunday, April 3, 2016

WEEK 1: TWO CULTURES


“Since the gap between the rich countries and the poor can be removed, it will be. If we are shortsighted, inept, incapable either of good-will or enlightened self-interest, then it may be removed to the accompaniment of war and starvation: but removed it will be. The questions are, how, and by whom.” ― C.P. SnowThe Two Cultures

The readings, "Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution," by C.P Snow and "Toward a Third Culture: Being in Between," by Victoria Vesna opened my eyes about the truth of our society. I had never realized that art and science had a correlation. Just like how Snow's readings are titled "Two Culture," I always thought they were from two different concepts that would never work well together. But I was wrong. After the readings, I had realized that there are many similarities between science and art that majority of the people in the society don't realize. I, myself have never realized how art and science play an important role in our lives. 
Art & Science

Snow introduced the two cultures of humanities and science. Just like Snow talks about the two different bridges of culture, I, myself can agree to his understandings. I had taken introduction to psychology 10 during my fall quarter of college and realized that although we learn about why humans act a certain way, we also learn about the functions of our brain. Michael Kraus states in his article that "psychology is a small science."
 Dream Career: Teacher: 
Although the role of a teacher is to help students get an education, we also have to learn how to nurture and treat our students. Teachers also play the roles of being a doctor and a parent. Teachers nurse and nourish the students. 
http://xpatnation.com/why-america-is-heaven-on-earth-for-koreans/#.o70A90u5m
Korean Culture and American Culture:
Since my parents were from South Korea, the way they want me to live my life is different from an American. It's as if I had been diagnosed with multiple personality disorder because based on the community I'm around, my personality changes. Luckily, as I got older, I have learned to accustom to my different speech communities.





Sources:


Snow, C. P. “Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution.” Reading. 1959. New York: Cambridge UP, 1961. Print.
Kraus, Michael W. "The Psychology of the "Psychology Isn't a Science" Argument." Psychology Is a Science Even Though Some Psychologists Aren't Scientists. N.p., 14 Aug. 2013. Web. 04 Apr. 2016.

Vesna, Victoria. "Toward a Third Culture: Being In Between." Leonardo. 34 (2001): 121-125. Print.

Differences Between America and Korea. N.p., 02 Apr 2016. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x41yb2ce7R0>

"Membership." Educational Leadership:Teachers as Leaders:Ten Roles for Teacher Leaders. N.p., 1 May 2015. Web. 04 Apr. 2016.



No comments:

Post a Comment